Since 2001, ISITA has hosted more than 40 visiting scholars and fellows from 19 countries for periods ranging from several weeks to one year. Meet our current visiting scholars.
Scholars with research interests in Islam and Africa who would like to spend a period of time at Northwestern on their own funding may apply for Visiting Scholar status with ISITA. The application process is in two parts.
1) To indicate interest, send an email request to ISITA Director, Zekeria Ahmed Salem (email@example.com) that includes:
- A resume or CV
- Research Proposal: A brief description of your proposed research activities and what you hope to accomplish as a visiting scholar at ISITA. Please include how being at ISITA/Northwestern is of particular importance in advancing your research agenda and how your visit will enhance the ISITA or broader Northwestern community.
- The proposed dates of your visit
- Names of any Northwestern University faculty with whom you would like to interact during your stay
2) If ISITA decides to proceed with an invitation, the Office for Research must approve the visiting scholar appointment. In this next step, you will be asked to furnish additional documentation, including a Sponsoring Entity (Home Institution) Letter that confirms your status at the institution and the institution’s intention to continue your affiliation throughout your visiting scholar appointment period. You may also be required to submit proof of insurance coverage that meets Northwestern’s requirements or purchase Northwestern’s Visiting Scholar Insurance.
Due to the time involved in processing applications and appointments, you must send the initial inquiry at least 3 months prior to your proposed start date. In cases where visas are needed, we recommend that you start the process even earlier.
See a list of past visiting scholars.